Monday, May 29, 2006
I am participating in the One Skein secret pal exchange. Here is the questionnaire I answered and sent to the pal that will be sending me yarn.
1. Which yarn is most like your personality (you can be specific or general with your answer- brand, type, color, fiber, whatever)? Probably one of the heathered Misty Alpaca worsteds, because its soft and even and has lots of subtle coloring. I am mostly mellow and at first glance quite ordinary, but I have my moments.
2. What is your favorite color yarn to knit/crochet with? My friend Violet (owner of Frog Pond) laughs whenever I pick new yarn because it almost always is blue, brown, grey, tan, or black. Yes, I mostly like neutrals, but I do like pink, deep red, and autumn colors. As a matter of fact, I’m knitting a Shoal Water Shawl in a great shade of rose right now.
3. Have you ever used variegated, or magic, yarns? I have used self-striping sock yarn and variegated yarn. 4. Do you tend to favor certain fibers when choosing yarns? Nope, I’m an equal opportunity knitter! 5. Do you prefer to work with center-pull or traditionally wound balls of yarn? I prefer center-pull, but I have a ball-winder so how they come is not important.
6. Have you ever worked with organic yarns or are you interested in trying them? I just bought my first skein ever of organic yarn, I’m anxious to try it out.
7. How many and what projects have you made in the last year? Let me count the knit projects: 1. garter stitch hat and scarf set 2. Gryffindor scarf 3. Bzzz hat from SNB Nation 4. wristwarmers 5. two washcloths 6. mohair shrug 7. Debbie Bliss scarf 8. Three beanies 9. Sophie purse 10. felted bag 11. My Constant Companion 12. mohair ruffled scarflet 13. two Stitch Diva ruffled scarves 14. One Skein Triple-cable Muffler 15. fun-fur garter stitch scarf 16. skirt from Knit Scene 17. three felted flowers 18. three felted clovers 19. Mock Croc socks from Knitpicks 20. Cables and Lace socks 21. Snakes and Ladders socks 22. worsted socks 23. Tiny Treasures baby socks 24. baby booties That’s all I can remember at the moment, so that adds up to 29. I haven’t been crocheting nearly as much (after all, I have been able to crochet forever), probably just a belt, two hats, four ponchos, and some never ending granny squares for an afghan.
8. Will you be knitting any gifts this year? Absolutely. 9. What is your favorite one skein project? Right now it’s the triple-cable muffler, but that could change. I bought some Brown Sheep over the weekend to make the felted clutch.
10. How much yarn do you have in your stash and how do you store it? I have about 50 skeins, most in plastic tubs or hard-wood baskets.
11. Do you have a yarn in your stash that you love so much you can never use it or part with it? No, I just keep looking for a perfect project.
12. Do you knit less or differently in the summer? I just started knitting January 05, so I’ve only gone through one summer. I think it’s too soon to tell.
13. Do you belong to any knitting groups (online or offline)? I belong to Rocklin Chicks with Sticks. We meet on Wednesdays at a desert café or at Frog Pond Knits (our LYS).
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Is it two words? Anyway, a few weekends ago I went to the Middle Earth festival in Vacaville with Nathaniel and Kaylie. We saw lots of Elves, some Dwarfs, some orcs, and a really frightening Ringwraith. Nathaniel was immediately obsessed with the swords ("Auntie M, look at that sword!") and Kaylie couldn't keep her eyes off of the Elves ("She's a princess, Auntie M!). After spending too much money on snacks, a sword for Nathaniel, and a tiara for Kaylie, we headed back home. Ah, Middle Earth. I went, I saw, and I bought the T-shirt!