Sunday, December 03, 2006

Looking for Sconcey

My sister plays a game with her son Josiah called "Where's Sconcey." The way this game is played is very simple. Anytime Josiah is fussy, Barb asks "Where's Sconcey?" Immediately Josiah stops fussing, looks around until he spots one of the many sconces hanging throughout my sister's home and breaks into angelic smiles. What does he see? Why a sconce? Who knows, but I've seen it with my own eyes.


My sister will be moving into her new home in a few days and already has decided that she will hang a sconce in Josiah's room. I wonder if the sconce magic will happen there.

I call it magic because it doesn't matter who asks the question, as soon as Josiah hears "sconce" he starts looking. His dad is a doctor and has frequently mentioned that infants don't have anything close to 20/20 vision. Apparently the sconce is visible to his less than perfect eyesight, because Josiah spots it right off and fixes his gaze.

We'll see what happens in a couple of weeks when we all get together for Christmas. Will the sconce here catch Josiah's eye? I hope so.

No comments: